For those iPhone aficionados who would love to own an iPhone but can’t really afford to buy one, worry no more dear friends! You can now sell your iPhone and also buy a pre-owned iPhone online without having to burn a hole in your pocket. Unless you are buying a pre-owned iPhone from a known source, you really cannot predict what you are getting into. It would be tempting to pay just $50 for a used iPhone from a selling alternative like eBay or TrueGether rather than spending ten times that amount for the same phone from certified sources. However, it is always better to check some points on a list that delineates the pre-conditions that the iPhone needs to satisfy before being purchased.
Here are 6 of the most vital checkpoints that let you decide whether to pick the iPhone or dis your buying decision:
- Carrier Consideration
- Verification of the ESN, IMEI Or MEID Number
- Confirm that the iPhone is Not Fake
- Water Damage Inspection
- Battery Test
- Call Quality and Speaker quality
Let us explore the complete details of each of these checkpoints required to buy a preowned iPhone:-
The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus are the most desired phones when it comes to second-hand buying. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile are the compatible service providers or carriers for these two models. The A1633 model of the iPhone 6S and the A1634 model of the iPhone 6S plus are best suited for AT&T, while iPhone 6S A1688 or the iPhone 6S Plus A1687 are best suited for other carriers. Any iPhones older than iPhone 5 work only on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks. The Verizon and Sprint networks support CDMA iPhones. Ensure to opt for the compatible carrier option and check if the iPhone starts to function normally once you insert your SIM card.
Verification of the ESN, IMEI Or MEID Number
Every cell phone is allocated an identification number that helps identify the phone and the related information. This number is unique for each phone and model. This serial number can also be used to lock your iPhone in case it has been stolen. The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) is used to identify GSM phones while the Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID) number identifies a CDMA phone. The identification serial number embedded in the OS needs to be cross-verified with the serial number behind your iPhone to confirm that the phone has not been locked because it was stolen, or because of non-settlement of bills due or even the body of the iPhone that you are buying is not fabricated during repair when the phone was opened up. Even warranty checks can be done using these numbers, if your legitimate pre-owned iPhone is still under warranty there is nothing like it.
Confirm that the iPhone is Not Fake
Fraudulent iPhone sellers have notoriously capitalized the market because of the lack of buyer awareness about fake iPhones. The following points need to be checked to avoid being hoodwinked by such shady online sellers.
- The Operating System should be the original iOS failing which the performance of the phone and its features would be affected which will turn out to be a disaster for the amount spent.
- The 3D touch feature should function as expected.
- The functionality of the voice recognition digital assistant Siri needs to be checked.
- The official Apple Inc. logo and the fake ones should be checked for discrepancies, the logo is usually spotted at the back of the body of the iPhone.
- The original iPhones have two Pentalobe screws on either side of the charging port, fake iPhones have the normal cross screws instead.
- The LCD touchscreen needs to be checked for the ultimate sharpness of images anything that seems pixelated is an indicator of an iPhone impostor.
- The ability to connect instantly to iTunes distinguishes between fake and original iPhones.
- The original iPhone packaging box will be of premium quality and will contain the model of the phone, the specifications, the country of manufacturing, the serial number and the barcode any aberration will not.
- The original iPhone will contain pre-installed apps like iTunes, photos, and music the fake ones will not.
- The Touch ID feature along with the Apple Pay option need to be present on the iPhone and the fingerprint sensor should work only for the programmed fingerprint of its owner and not for any finger that touches it.
- The welcome screen should display the original apple logo that is crystal clear and the message font need not be configured manually to English, if the font that appears is anything other than English characters, the iPhone is fake.
Water Damage Inspection
The Liquid Contact Indicator is inbuilt in an original iPhone that gets activated when the phone comes in direct contact with liquids. The original location of these indicators is found on the Apple website. Since the original AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) does not cover for water damage, it is important to ensure that the indicator does not turn red once it comes in contact with water or liquids in general. The normal color of the indicator is white or silver. The indicator does not turn red in case of humidity or temperature variations.
An original iPhone in a good condition gives a day and a half of talk time with 3G connectivity if used normally. The official Apple Support app needs to be signed into with your Apple ID. The replacement is available at $29, but while buying the replacement it is better to ensure that you are not paying extra for a battery that is claimed to be fully functional when it is not. If your current battery drains out quicker than expected with minimal usage, then it is better to get the iPhone at a discounted rate.
Call Quality and Speaker quality
It is always a better idea to make some live calls while you are at buying the iPhone to check for call quality and for carrier lock while you have inserted the SIM. If there is any distortion or if there are any networks you are unable to connect with it is a better idea to look for alternative buying options. While making the trial call it is always a better idea to check the speakers while putting the call on speaker option.
If you’re a photography enthusiast and looking to enter as a beginner, you must the best budget cameras for photography beginners.